Steps to Take After a Car Accident in Norristown
The chaos and the shock of an accident can overwhelm you, but knowing what to do in the moments immediately following an accident is very important for your personal injury case. It’s important to be diligent and follow these steps:
- Seek Medical Help: Once you seek emergency care, the medical experts will determine the extent of any injury sustained and offer you appropriate medical treatment.
- Collect Necessary Documentation: A personal injury claim may depend on documentation as evidence. Make sure to obtain copies of police reports, medical records, accident scene photos, and witness statements — as well as the contact information of your witnesses.
- Personal Recollection of Details: As soon as possible, document your own recollection of what occurred before, during, and after the incident. Small details that may be important to your case are easily forgotten.
- Report the Accident to Your Insurance: Some agencies have strict time requirements for reporting, so be sure to report the accident to your insurance company immediately.
- Retain an Attorney: Hire a skilled personal injury attorney to help you file claims, negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance company, or go to trial if needed.
Determining Fault in an Accident
To figure out how much compensation you may be entitled to, it's important to understand that Pennsylvania is considered a comparative fault state. That means the number of damages you may recover in an auto accident lawsuit will be reduced by a percentage that is equal to your level of fault in causing the crash.
For instance, if you were involved in a car accident that was caused by another driver, but you were also speeding, the court may find that you were 10% at fault for the accident. As a result, that means your overall settlement will be reduced by 10% to account for your level of responsibility in causing the crash. If the court ultimately awards you $100,000 in damages for your injuries, you will actually only be entitled to receive $90,000.
It's important you have knowledgeable and experienced auto accident attorneys working for you to maximize your chances of receiving the compensation you need. It’s never a good idea to go at this alone. If you or someone you know has been injured in a car, truck, or motorcycle accident, and you are located in Norristown, Blue Bell, Ambler, North Wales, or King of Prussia—don't wait. Call us at Murphy & Dengler to schedule a free consultation.